Wednesday, November 18, 2009

A Day in the Life of a Librarian

I work as a school librarian in four different schools, three grammar schools and one comprehensive school. I also work as a library assistant in a public library for one day per week, although I don't have any official training for this, I have a lot of on the job-training in several public libraries.
The library in the comprehensive school is fairly big and apart from me, another librarian and a library assistant work there. The other libraries are fairly small (less than 3000 media) and there's just me. This post is about one of the small ones, my Wednesday library.

Today I arrive to a group of fifth grade students already hard at work, looking for information about deserts and tropical rainforests. They had been to the library last week and most of our books on the topic are checked out, but we still have some and there's always the encyclopedia.

While the students work in the library (we don't have much room, but enough for a small group), I catalogue some new books. Of the three small libraries, the Wedneyday one is the only one with a budget and I really enjoy buying new books, especially since the existing stock is fairly old. By the time I'm done with that, the group has left and it's time for the first recess.

There are a few students that come every recess to read or just to chat and I tolerate that they hide books in the shelves that they want to continue reading. The library is small enough that I know exactly where something is hidden in case someone else wants to check it out.

After recess, I take a quick break myself and then the next class, this time sixth grade, comes in looking for books on Egypt. Hooray, I just bought some new books onm that subject and they leave with the books on a one period-loan, although some decide that they want to keep the books for the normal four week-period later.
The library still has a card index and loans are also done with cards, which I put into the "library cards", that's mine in the picture and I just loaned the Graveyard Book. The library card stays in the library.
Photobucket

After the second recess, I put away the returned books and organize the shelves. Some days, it looks as if Taz the Tasmanian Devil has come for a visit. Now I have time for book repairs or for choosing books for a display (right now, we display our new books, but next week, the Christmas book will come out of storage) or for anything else that needs to be done.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jennifer,
    Your job sounds very interesting. I have given some thought to maybe someday working as a librarian at a deaf school. But for now, I'm still plugging away at my technical services job. I wrote a description of my day too. You can read it here if you like.
    Sarah
    P.S. I really like that mental picture of Taz visiting the library!

    ReplyDelete