Thursday, December 10, 2009

Meet the mice: Isgrimnur

Isgrimnur came to me with his brother Dinivan. They belonged to a family who kept them in a tiny cage. Both were unneutered and only the lack of space had kept them from fighting too much with each other, but both had bitemarks already. Apart from that, they had mites - so many that they could be seen with the naked eye. Eew. Their owners had gone on vacation and the person who looked after them called me for advice. She also paid for neutering them, treating the mites and convinced the owners to give the mice up.

Photobucket

I found a new home for Dinivan and kept Isgrimnur, although I didn't plan to. But even after all the mites were gone, he kept scratching himself, so much that he lost his fur and started to bleed, he even scratched away his ears. I had hoped that the company of other mice would keep him busy and it worked, he stopped scratching so much and he was happy with his new friends, although he had only been neutered four weeks and some of the others were neutered males, too. Sometimes that can be a problem, it takes a while for the hormones to wear off (up to six months) and until then, neutered males can still be aggressive towards other males.

Isgrimnur keep scratching himself and I can't do much about it. I've tried everything the vet and I could think of: new bedding, medication against the itch and inflammation of the wounds ect. Some of what I tried made it even worse because he scratches more when he's stressed. But at least he doesn't scratch himself bloody now and he doesn't do it all the time. Some of his fur regrew - although I suspect that the fur is part of the issue. He's a rex or frizzy, which means that his fur is curly and that includes his whiskers and his eyelashes. His eyes are often inflamed because the eyelashes grow inward. I did think about euthanizing him and if the scratching hadn't gotten better, I would have asked the vet to do it. But at the moment, I think that Isgrimnur leads a fairly happy life, socializing with the others, exploring the cage and only stopping once in a while to scratch. He may not be very beautiful, but I doubt that he or the others care.
Photobucket

Isgrimnur and Dinivan were named for characters from one of my favourite books, Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Thorn

1 comment:

  1. Poor little guy.it's awesome you gave him a home and he's getting the care he deserves.I love mice and rats.I used to have 40 rats at one time.Loved them so much.They are smart!
    I have cats now so no mice or rats.But someday may get another rattie.
    Hey!Love the names!

    ReplyDelete