Friday, March 5, 2010

Musical Monday: Jean Michel Jarre


I've been introduced to Jean Michel Jarre's music by watching programs on science and astronomy on German TV - they all used his music and it does go well with images of supernovae and planetary nebulas.
I finally saw him in concert last week and it was mindblowing. This is not just someone who pushes buttons on a keyboard. His stuff is actually played live and he obviously had a blast doing it. The laser and video show is spectacular, but I enjoyed most the views from cameras mounted on the synthesizers and keyboards that allowed you to see him performing close up. It also was the first time I saw someone playing a laser harp and a Theremin. I once got the chance to play around with one and I've been fascinated with them ever since.

Here's a video of a live performance from 2006. I was astonished to find out that he's 61 years old - he has the looks and energy of a much younger man. Considering that Oxygene is from 1976, it should be so surprising, but just watch him and tell me you would have guessed his age right.


and just because I'm still so psyched about the concert, here's Equinoxe 4. He will probably be touring the US in the near future, so if you like his music and have a chance to see him, go. It will be amazing, I promise.


What's moving you on Musical Monday?

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the music-I always love learning about a new artist(s).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have never guessed his age. He looks great for his age! His music really is perfect for Nova and other space exploration documentaries. Cool stuff! Thanks for sharing!

    Happy MM! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How awesome! I appreciate learning something new to me today: laser harp and theremin. I think I would enjoy the same thing the most too - observing an artist performing up close.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you are so blessed to watch it LIVE.

    Have you a great week!

    hugs
    shakira

    YOU WERE THAT EXCITED?

    WE'RE GONNA HOLO-HOLO

    CIRCLE OF LIFE

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the second video the best, I can imagine getting lost in the performance being there, I would love to see it live!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love good electronic/ambient. never heard of this artist before. thanx for the intro!

    ReplyDelete