Friday, June 11, 2010

Fiel Trip Friday: Travel Pet Peeves

1. People who talk in their own language in the believe that no-one will understand them anyway and so they feel secure to bad-mouth everything. Surprise, guys, people learn foreign languages and CAN understand you.

2. Tourists without respect for the culture they encounter and who think that because they paid for their holiday they are entitled to behave like a bull in a china shop.

3. Tourists who are careless about nature and animals. No, you don't get to take home corals from the Great Barrier Reef and no, it's not a good idea to pet the baby bison. Oh, and we've invented this thing called trashcans. Try it sometime. Also in this category: the illiterate tourist. Obviously can't read any signs, like keep to the trail or don't pick flowers. In serious cases, the illiterate tourist is also not able to understand pictograms.

4. Museums who don't allow taking photos (with the possible exception of galleries). I can understand not wanting people to use the flash, but no photos? Come on, it's advertising for free, especially when people put it online. No-one's going to say: oh, I saw the photos, no need to visit the museum.

5. Travelling with people who think they are running a race. It's a vacation, so take your time. enjoy things. Look at the little things.

Share your travel pet peeves at Field Trip friday

2 comments:

  1. Agree on all counts!

    I haven't traveled with them in a while, but my parents are the go-go-go types. Every moment is scheduled and we raced from museum to park to historic site in record time. Probably why my favorite vacation was the one that we did NOTHING.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so with you on the "no photos" rule. It doesn't seem fair. I remember being so disappointed by the no photos real when I visited Notre Dame in Paris. Then, I found myself even more annoyed by the people who were breaking the rule. I wanted to break it, but I didn't want to be a rule breaker. You know what I mean?

    If only I could speak a foreign language . . . I'd love to catch someone in the act of talking about me (or complaining in general).

    Thanks for taking this field trip!

    ReplyDelete