Sunday, November 7, 2010

99 book meme

- Bold the ones you’ve read
- Italicize the ones you want to read
- Leave unaltered the ones that you aren’t interested in or haven’t heard of

1. The DaVinci Code (Dan Brown) - yawn. And why, oh why is that top of the list?
2. Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen) - although I have to admit I'm not that much into Jane Austen
3. To Kill A Mockingbird (Harper Lee) - one of my favouite books ever. It's amazing.
4. Gone With The Wind (Margaret Mitchell) - well, at least half of it, then I got bored. I enjoy the movie, though.
5. The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (JRR Tolkien)
6. The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring (JRR Tolkien)
7. The Lord of the Rings: Two Towers (JRR Tolkien)
- I have read the LotR 34 times. I never get bored by it.
8. Anne of Green Gables (L.M. Montgomery)
9. Outlander (Diana Gabaldon) - historical fiction gives me hives.
10. A Fine Balance (Rohinton Mistry)
11. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (JK Rowling) I've read the whole series multiple times
12. Angels and Demons (Dan Brown) - I read it against my better judgement (one a trip, it was the only book left) and I was amazed that nobody spotted that he had written the same book twice.
13. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (JK Rowling) see 11
14. A Prayer for Owen Meany (John Irving) I've read The World According to Garp and I tried other Irving novels, but it's just not my thing
15. Memoirs of a Geisha (Arthur Golden)
16. Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (JK Rowling) see 11
17. Fall on Your Knees (Ann-Marie MacDonald)
18. The Stand (Stephen King) - oh yes, love that book. Gary Sinise will always be Stu Redman for me, despite all the failings the movie had.
19. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (JK Rowling)
20. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte) I started it, but couldn't finish because the language was too difficult for me at the time
21. The Hobbit (JRR Tolkien) - of course. But I must admit that I don't like it as much as Lord of the Rings.
22. The Catcher in the Rye (J.D. Salinger) - I think I was already too old for that book. It should be read before you're 18 or 20 at the most, I think.
23. Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)
24. The Lovely Bones (Alice Sebold)
25. Life of Pi (Yann Martel)
26. The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (Douglas Adams) - I like the parts with uneven numbers much better for some reason. Anyway, it's genius.
27. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte) - another book I gave up on because of the language. I may try again sometime, it's been years since I've read it.
28. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (C. S. Lewis) - read it, but I don't like the Narnia series at all. It just doesn't have the same magic for me as Lord of the Rings or the Prydain chronicles.
29. East of Eden (John Steinbeck)
30. Tuesdays with Morrie (Mitch Albom)
31. Dune (Frank Herbert) - I've read the first book, but I'm usually bored by book series and Dune was no exception
32. The Notebook (Nicholas Sparks)
33. Atlas Shrugged (Ayn Rand) - I've been meaning to read this for ages, ever since I read Matt Ruff's Public Works Trilogy
34. 1984 (George Orwell) - a classic. Along with Fahrenheit 451 it's my favourite dystopian novel
35. The Mists of Avalon (Marion Zimmer Bradley) - I wish I hadn't and I didn't complete the book. So boring and so much pseudo-feministic crap.
36. The Pillars of the Earth (Ken Follett) - one of the few historic novels I've read and liked.
37. The Power of One (Bryce Courtenay)
38. I Know This Much is True (Wally Lamb)
39. The Red Tent (Anita Diamant)
40. The Alchemist (Paulo Coelho) - everyone is enthusing over Coelho, but I just don't get it.
41. The Clan of the Cave Bear (Jean M. Auel)
42. The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)
43. Confessions of a Shopaholic (Sophie Kinsella)
44. The Five People You Meet In Heaven (Mitch Albom)
45. The Bible - yes, actually. Not the whole book and not all in one go, but I've read it. As someone who lives in a mostly Christian country, with a history and culture so heavily influenced by Christianity, not knowing the Bible is ignoring something that's an important key to understand that history. Whether you believe in God or not (which I don't)
46. Anna Karenina (Leo Tolstoy)
47. The Count of Monte Cristo (Alexandre Dumas)
48. Angela’s Ashes (Frank McCourt)
49. The Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)
50. She’s Come Undone (Wally Lamb)
51. The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver)
52. A Tale of Two Cities (Charles Dickens)
53. Ender’s Game (Orson Scott Card)
54. Great Expectations (Charles Dickens) - I haven't finished it, though.
55. The Great Gatsby (F Scott Fitzgerald)
56. The Stone Angel (Margaret Laurence)
57. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (JK Rowling)
58. The Thorn Birds (Colleen McCullough)
59. The Handmaid’s Tale (Margaret Atwood)
60. The Time Traveller’s Wife (Audrew Niffenegger)
61. Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)
62. The Fountainhead (Ayn Rand)
63. War and Peace (Leo Tolstoy)
64. Interview With The Vampire (Anne Rice) - such a great book. Then Anne Rice went on and made all vampires into pussies. Yawn. But at least they didn't glitter.
65. Fifth Business (Robertson Davis)
66. One Hundred Years Of Solitude (Gabriel Garcia Marquez)
67. Catch-22 (Joseph Heller)
68. Les Miserables (Victor Hugo) - Javert is such a cool character.
69. The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupery) - I've read and liked it, but I'm still annoyed by people who quote it all the time. Usually without having read it.
70. Bridget Jones’ Diary (Fielding)
71. Love in the Time of Cholera (Gabriel Garcia Marquez) - a weird book, but I liked it.
72. Shogun (James Clavell) - definitely on my reading list
73. The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje)
74. The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson Burnett)
75. The Summer Tree (Guy Gavriel Kay)
76. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (Betty Smith)
77. The World According to Garp (John Irving) - read it, wasn't that impressed by it
78. The Diviners (Margaret Laurence)
79. Charlotte’s Web (E.B. White)
80. Not Wanted On The Voyage (Timothy Findley)
81. Of Mice And Men (John Steinbeck) - so sad.
82. Rebecca (Daphne DuMaurier) - one of the best opening sentences ever.
83. Wizard’s First Rule (Terry Goodkind)
84. Emma (Jane Austen)
85. Watership Down (Richard Adams) - I saw the movie as a kid and then read the book, years later. I love both.
86. Brave New World (Aldous Huxley) - I don't know, that book didn't really work for me
87. The Stone Diaries (Carol Shields)
88. Blindness (Jose Saramago)
89. Kane and Abel (Jeffrey Archer)
90. In The Skin Of A Lion (Ondaatje)
91. Lord of the Flies (Golding) - once in school and several times since
92. The Good Earth (Pearl S. Buck)
93. The Secret Life of Bees (Sue Monk Kidd)
94. The Bourne Identity (Robert Ludlum)
95. The Outsiders (S.E. Hinton)
96. White Oleander (Janet Fitch)
97. A Woman of Substance (Barbara Taylor Bradford)
98. The Celestine Prophecy (James Redfield)
99. Ulysses (James Joyce) - not an easy read and I prefer Virginia Woolf

Obviously, I'm not that much into popular contemporary literature. I can live with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment