Thursday, January 13, 2011

Murakami: After Dark

After Dark tells of chance meetings taking place during one night - at least they seem like chance meetings at first glance. Maybe they are, maybe not. Not all questions are answered when we leave the characters in the morning and it's an invitation to spin our own stories for them. If you like wandering the streets and night and thinking about the people you meet, what they may be doing and why, then I think you will enjoy After Dark.

A friend introduced me to Murakami's books a while ago, since then I have read quite a few, Hard-Boiled Wonderland is my favourite. I love the way weird things edge their way into normality in his books. It creeps in until you are surrounded by a reality that's very different from what you are used to. Take a wrong turn and you may never find your way back or you will only realise that you're lost when it's far too late to turn back.

Second book for the Library Challenge

1 comment: