Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Book of Choice: The Art of Modern Mythmaking

75 Years of DC Comics by Paul Levitz

I saw this book first at Neil Gaiman's journal and I knew I had to have it. I love comics and I love reading about comics, so this was kind of a no-brainer. It's the most I have ever payed for a single book and it's worth every cent. The book is enormous, so reading it is a bit difficult unless you own a lectern (something I've always wanted), but it's simply gorgeous to look at and full of information. I have only just started reading it, but I already discovered several comics I had never heard of that I really must read.

75 Years of DC Comics by Paul Levitz
The size really brings out the beauty of the comics and every page is a history lesson in itself. It's fun to see the changes in styles and stories the years brought.

For comparison, that's a normal paperback ... looks a bit lost there
75 Years of DC Comics by Paul Levitz

Taschen has published several books on art in this big format and they are all worth buying (the one on DaVinci is amazing). It's my publishing house of choice when it comes to art books in general, as well. The books are as a rule well written, with high-quality prints and very affordable.

No comments:

Post a Comment