Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Close this library

On Mondays, I work in a school library that is one of the few libraries I would be happy to see closed down. No-one in interested in the library very much and I don't have anything to do. Last year I finally managed to convince the head of school to give me a budget of 800 Euros to buy new books. It's not much, but at least it was a start – all the books in the library are 20 years old or older. I threw out a lot, but if I threw away everything that's out of date, all the shelves would be empty.

Last week, I asked how high the budget for the library would be for this year. To my absolute disbelief, I was asked if I needed to buy new books urgently.
I was totally speechless for a few seconds. How do these people think libraries work? Do I really need to explain to them that books don't update themselves, that you need to spend money if you want to keep a library up to date and attractive? It seems so.

I'm not sure if I really want a budget. If I don't get one, I can make a really good case for closing the library down or at least for not sending me there (I'm employed by the public library, not by the schools). To be honest, I would prefer spending more time in my Wednesday school library – the teachers there are actually interested in working with me and it would be great if I could open the library for three instead of just two days a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment