Friday, March 25, 2011

Chai

Yay. I just made Chai for the first time and it was much easier that I thought it would be. The reason why I finally got around to making my own chai is that people drink it all the time in For the Win and it made my mouth water just reading about it.

I used:
1 stick of cinnamon
6 pods of green cardamom
6 cloves
Crush everything using a mortar and pestle or just a tablespoon and a wooden tray. Scrape the seeds out of
1" of vanilla bean, grind
1/8 tablespoon of black pepper
and grate
1/2 tablespoon of ginger
Put everything into a small pot and add 3/4 litres of water. Bring to a boil, remove from the heat and let it sit for 5 minutes. Add 1/4 litre of milk and 4 tablespoons of black tea (Assam or any other unscented/unflavoured tea) and bring to a boil again. Remove from heat and let sit for another 3-5 minutes, then strain through a sieve into a teapot. Add sugar to taste.

It's a bit more work than making normal tea, but it's so very tasty. I love the smell of cardamom and cloves and the faint taste of vanilla. If you have never drunk Chai, I really recommend that you give it a try. I found this article very helpful. There are many variations, you can use black and green tea and Roibos and it can be drunk hot or cold. I definitely play to try cold chai with vanilla ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment