Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Library Roleplaying

I paid a visit to the Young Adult branch of the Hamburg public libraries last week and I discovered that they have a small roleplaying section. How cool is that? It's mainly D&D and Das Schwarze Auge, but they also have some World of Darkness books and a subscription to three different LARP/RPG magazines.

I've been toying with the idea of buying some RPG books for my school library. I'm just not sure what to get. Since the books are pretty expensive, I will need to decide between D&D and DSA and I'm leaning towards DSA. The new D&D editions are not available in German and the old ones are not cheap.

I would love to get GURPS, but it seems that there are only English sourcebooks. Shadowrun is probably something that would appeal to some of the kids AND there's a German edition (plus sourcebooks ect.), so that's on the list. Vampire would be cool, but the German version is out of print. I had no idea how much easier it is to get RPG books if you don't need to rely on the German versions!

If any of you have more ideas for RPG games that you think would work, let me know. The kids that come to the library range in age fro 5th to 9th grade, but it doesn't have to be suitable for all ages of course.

Edit: ha, D&D4 has been published in German after all!! And has anyone ever played Cyberpunk or Traveller?

No comments:

Post a Comment