Thursday, April 21, 2011

Total Recall

We watched Total Recall a few days ago and I was really pleasantly surprised. I had seen it once before and I had enjoyed myself, but that had been almost 20 years ago.
The movie has aged well, the special effects mostly still look pretty awesome. Hooray for miniatures. There are also very cool CGI effects, for example when Quaid blows his cover while going through Mars customs. See if you can spot Marc Alaimo (Gul Dukat for the Deep Space Nine fans).

One thing I love is how ambiguous the story is about whether the things Quaid experiences are real or not. If you listen carefully, you get hints as to what will happen in the last third of the movie very early on and again later - more than a hint actually.
"Don't fuck with your brain, pal. It ain't worth it.", says one character. He's probably right, but it's a lot of fun watching Arnie do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment