Monday, August 15, 2011

Ian McEwan: Solar

Michael Beard is a Nobel prize-winning physicist who has much less success in organising his private life. Between wifes, lovers and lovers of wifes even his professional life slowly sinks into chaos.

There are many comic moments in Solar, one even made me laugh out loud in public, but when all is said and done, it's a bleak book. Not only because of the underlying theme of climate warming and ebergy crisis, but also because it's basically a study in self-destruction. Entropy and chaos are a major theme in the book and while it looks for a while that Beard has managed to bring order to his life, it all breaks down in the end.

He is not a character that I found easily likeable, but I did recognise some of my own less flattering character traits in him. Wondering what I would do in the place of a character is always fun for me, so it did make an interesting read (although not a really comfortable one).

Solar by Ian McEwan is my 35th book for the Library Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment