Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Capoeira

I'm creating a new character for our Call of Cthulhu 1923 round and I decided to give him the martial arts skill. I never had a Cthulhu character who knew anything about martial arts, so that would be something new for me. I thought aloud about what kind I was going to use and Mr Bookscorpion suggested Capoeira.

Cool. It took me a while to come up with a plausible story that allowed the character to learn this and still end up in Arkham, but I managed, a crash course in Brazilian history included. After a further crash course in Capoeira, only theoretical unfortunately, I decided that it would have a very strong influence on the character and his behaviour. Of course it will give him an edge in a fight, but the important element of Malicia in Capoeira will have shaped his behaviour towards people in daily life. I think it will be wise to keep your guard up around this character and not to assume that you know his intentions.

It's fun to see a character go from statistics and a character sheet to a real, well-rounded person. I'm at the point where he pretty much writes himself after I found the element that makes him come alive for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment