Thursday, November 10, 2011

History of Private Life

I was looking forward to Bill Bryson's new book "At Home: A Short History of Private Life" and I was not disappointed. I love this collection of facts about everyday items we use and rarely think about.

The book takes the form of a walk through an old house in the English countryside, with each room giving a chapter its theme. Some of the things Bryson talks about are a bit random, but for me that just adds to the charm. I'm this ninja of random knowledge, my "did you know"s are known and feared and this book added considerably to my arsenal.

Seriously, I learned a lot about likely and unlikely things, I came away from the book with a list of further books to read and I laughed out loud quite a few times. If you don't mind taking a walk through a house with a companion to goes off on a tangent once in a while, then go and read this book.

43. book for the Library Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment