Friday, November 11, 2011

Outland

Outland remains one of my favourite science fiction movies, I get a kick out of it every time I watch it. I'm not a big friend of utopian science fiction and Outland is about as dystopian as you can get without being downright post-apocalyptic.

Sean Connery is of course awesome as Marshall O'Niel, but Frances Sternhagen steals every scene they have together as the mining colony's doctor (I'm unpleasant, I'm not stupid!). I don't know, if I were O'Niel, I'd think twice about returning to that whiney wife of his.

Outland also has really gorgeous models. You can take a closer look here - the details are amazing. This photo gives an idea how big the models actually were.

You can see them in the movie here:

I love that they animated Jupiter's atmosphere, that's a neat little detail.

If you plan on running a scifi RPG set in a not so glorious future, then Outland should definitely be on your movie list. The crowded living quarters of the miners and the loud, shabby bar hit just the right tone. Space is not the place for privacy or comfort.

Oh, and despite the fact that it doesn't happen when you step out into a vacuum, I dig the exploding people.

No comments:

Post a Comment