Sunday, December 11, 2011

The Great Gatsby

The Great Gatsby joins the list of books I absolutely recognise as brilliantly written, but didn't like anyway.
There were scenes I enjoyed, the one where Gatsby finally meets his adored Daisy in particular, it's sad and awkward and hilarious all at once. It's also one of very few occasions where the characters actually are (more or less) truthful to each other.

And that's my problem with the novel: here's a bunch of people who don't seem to be capable of not deceiving each other and themselves for one minute, who seems to find it more comfortable to live lies, even if they are unhappy. It really, really got on my nerves and I had very little patience or sympathy for the characters and their problems. I have no problems with characters I don't like, because usually I can relate to them, even to the most evil ones, but I found that extremely difficult with any on the characters in The Great Gatsby.

But at least the lies were lived to their bitter consequence, I have to give the book that. No happy ending there.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald is my 47th book for the Library challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment