Thursday, January 19, 2012

Bad Monkeys

Jane Charlotte works for a secret organisation that kills bad people - bad monkeys. At least she thinks so and that's what she tells her psychiatrist. Is she making things up or could it all be true?

I've loved Matt Ruff ever since I read Fool on a Hill and Set This House in Order is one of my favourite books, so I was looking forward to reading Bad Monkeys. I finally got my hands on it in the library and it was every bit as enjoyable as I expected.

The story goes through many twists and turns and you are always left to wonder what exactly is real and what's not. Even the most outrageous moments could have happened as Jane describes them, if you accept her version of the world.

Bad Monkeys can be read just as a thrilling story, but there are more serious things it deals with beneath all that. Like in Set This House in Order, abuse is a major theme here, whether it's the bad monkeys Jane punishes for their crimes or Jane herself as the perpetrator.

I liked the offbeat humour and the way the story takes you captive - it's fast-paced and I found myself reading it almost all in one go. I had to find out if Jane was making it all up or if even stranger things were afoot.
Oh, and the idea of putting cameras/eyes into things with eyes (teddy bears, paintings, banknotes): priceless. I'm so stealing this if I ever going to create a seriously paranoid RPG character.

Reviews 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment