Monday, August 6, 2012

Dark Knight Rises

I love the Christopher Nolan Batman movies and Dark Knight Rises is no exception. Knightfall was pretty much the first Batman story I have ever read and so I was really looking forward to this movie. The last time Bane appeared in a movie...no, wait, there is no such movie. Let's just say I was happy to see a Bane who was not only a great fighter, but also intelligent, skilled and actually a complex character, not just a hulking henchman. I found I had to listen closely to understand Tom Hardy's voice, with the accent and distortion, but the effect still was very cool.

I liked the story and the theme of basing good things on a lie. It will always come back to bite you and I was curious to see how things would turn out after Dark Knight. It was every bit as dark as I expected. Gotham is always just a step away from anarchy and this time, it completely went there.

Let's not get into the impossible physics of the end or how a decent freeclimber could have just strolled out of that prison (actually, let's - both articles are fun to read!) - none of this challenged my suspension of disbelieve at all. I'm watching a movie about a man dressed as a bat fighting crime, so yeah, I'm cool with impossible physics. I want outrageous action scenes. I want to go: awesome, I need that/want to do that! And I got plenty of this, so I'm not complaining.

Catwoman - as much as I liked Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman, her weird story always bothered me. Ann Hathaway's Catwoman goes back to the original character and she kicks ass. The whole cat aspect was never overdone, just a nickname and those awesome goggles. spoiler
I could have done without the happily ever after ending, but then, who knows what those two are up to?


What I like most about all three Batman movies is Gary Oldman as Commissioner Gordon. The character developed a lot over the course of the trilogy and the whole storyline revolves as much around him as it does around Batman. While the flashy action scenes are usually left to others, I get a kick out of every single minute of screentime Oldman has. That man can say more with taking off his glasses than others with a five minute monologue.

No comments:

Post a Comment