Friday, August 3, 2012

Shake, shake

I just made my own butter and I'm stupidly proud of it. I learned how to do it at Cold Antler Farm Blog and I've been meaning to try it for some time now. I poured the cream into a bowl and let it sit for eight hours, then I filled it into a jar with a tight lid and started shaking. After about ten minutes, the cream had turned into whipped cream, as it should.

And here's how 250ml of heavy cream (35% fat) look after being shaken for about twelve minutes:
IMG_4712_01

The white stuff is buttermilk. I poured that into a glass, rinsed the butter with cold water and kneaded it with a fork to press out any leftover buttermilk. Now I'm left with a glass of buttermilk, a bit of whipped cream I liberated for dessert (fresh strawberries) and about 100 grams of fresh butter. Yay!
IMG_4714_01

Next time: how to grow mushrooms on old paperback books. Really. Google it.

No comments:

Post a Comment