Monday, September 24, 2012

Endland - Your Day Will Come

Last Friday, we started our Endland campaign and I finally got to test my GMing abilities. I didn't need my paper bag after all - I was nervous, but not too much and it quickly became clear to me that the setting worked.

I was worried that the players were bored because the characters have not yet met, but two players took care of that on their own, introduced their characters to each other and started to have a lively in-character discussion while I was busy with the third player. That was the moment when I stopped worrying.

I have no idea where I got the idea from (Reality Refracted maybe), but I decided to start with a scene for each character that put the players immediately into the story and then ask them why and how they got into that situation. The Ikarim (a winged species and the only member of the species in town) for example stood on the market place with a bawling child under his arm. Why?

After some quick thinking, every player ran with the situation and I can really recommend this way of jump-starting your story. Maybe not for first-time roleplayers or people who have a problem with being creative on demand, but why not challenge your players? You can always hep them along if it doesn't work out.

The actual story can be found at Obsidian portal, along with a Wiki that introduces the setting a bit.

In any case, I'm very much looking forward to continue this campaign and I already have a couple of ideas for more stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment