Saturday, December 1, 2012

Shadowrun Rat's Nest: Scams

If there is one system that I love but never wanted to GM, it's Shadowrun. All those sourcebooks that you need to have read to keep your players from coming up with gimmicks, weapons and whatnot that will destroy your whole story. All those special things the characters can do and buy...hackers, mages, riggers, cyberware in general. No, thanks.

I found myself GMing Shadowrun all the same last Monday, with only a couple of hourse of preparation. It went pretty well, except for the fact that I had to cut the story a bit short because I didn't have enough time to come up with a complete run. It was more of an introduction or a setup for the actual run.

I had two players and they played a Glim Dropper scam on the owners of Rikki's Rathole, a talismonger/bookshop. That worked out well enough, but the scam was recognised by one of the patrons of the shop. The guy, an Ork named Jacob, confronted one of the PCs and demanded the commlink number of her partner for his silence. She gave it to him and it turned out that Jacob was planning to pull a big-time scam himself and he's looking for more people. A write-up of the evening is here

So far, so good. I had GMed myself into something of a corner, though. I want the scam to be elaborate, think The Sting. That is not easy and I have only a week to come up with the whole thing. Three days as of today, actually, we play again on Monday. Nothing like last minute panic to get creative.

If you are one of my players, do NOT click this link to read what I'm planning.

No comments:

Post a Comment