Sunday, June 1, 2014

Bees!

IMG_7966

This is my hive, it's a top bar hive I built using instructions from The Barefoot Beekeeper. It's basically a big box on stilts, with bars covering it and a roof. The bars are for the bees to hang their combs from and give me easy access without disturbing the bees too much.

Some of the bees
bee2

this, I believe, is a drone, a male bee - it's not visible here, but his eyes were enormous
bee1

and here's the whole swarm, two days after moving in
swarm

I got the swarm from another beekeeper and I was very excited and a bit afraid they'd all fly off. I did spray them with water to keep them from flying, but I had never done this before. But they were very well behaved. I only got stung three times, all at once, I think I must have pinched those bees by accident.
There is nothing quite like the feeling of holding a hand full of live bees. That I learned on this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment