Thursday, August 28, 2014

No Honey

IMG_8553

Here are my bees. The photos were taken two weeks ago when I wanted to harvest honey and found out that they didn’t have nearly enough to get them over the winter, let alone any to spare. The year was a bad one for honey all around and many beekeepers had the same problem.

IMG_8553

I don’t mind, I just hope they will make it. They are getting sugar water now so they can build up their reserves. The comb lying on the bottom, that was my fault. It still has brood in it, so I leave it there until its empty, then I’ll take it out. You can see in the next photo that the honey combs are empty and really light in colour, compared to the reddish yellow of the brood comb.

IMG_3

In the two weeks since I took those photos, they have built more honey combs and have started filling them with honey made from the sugar water I give them.

I don’t know if I mentioned it, the swarm is named Ygramul. I am amazed every time I look at the hive, all those tiny animals working together, neatly building their home. Just look at those honeycombs, it’s just so perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment