Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Castle Blackbird: Whitewater

We continue our Castle Blackbird game and to no-one's particular surprise, we still didn't finish. We could have, I could have rushed the story to an end, but given the choice, my players opted for a third session (we just need to convince the absent player).

By now, the characters are out Amselburg, by taking a boat down the river. And Konstanze has started to have visions in which she takes the form of a raven, one of the many who report back to the Baron. She has no idea where this is going, but the visions are real and she can even make the raven do things. Some rapids destroyed the boat and now the characters are in a dark forest, with the Baron closing in on them. At least he is on the wrong side of the river.

I'm still flying by the seat of my pants here as a GM. I have a rough idea where this is going to end and I have figured out why the Baron needs to have Konstanze back by midnight, but everything else is improvised. Luckily, I have players who do a lot of the heavy lifting by coming up with idea and scenes for themselves. Now I just need to get over the panicky feeling that people are bored when they are really not. I am incredibly bad at judging my own stories and if people are having fun playing in them. I think every GM is probably too critical of themselves (every good GM anyway), but part of this is really reading cues wrong, even from people I have played with for more than a decade. I'm not sure how to deal with this, but being told that oh yes, they want a third session helps a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment