Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Lexapros and Cons

"In the past year, I masturbated exactly 468 times." Chuck knows this for the same reason he has to make absolutely sure the stove is turned off by checking it multiple times a day or why he has to wash his hand when he touched...pretty much anything. He has OCD. He's also seventeen years old and not exactly popular at this high school - together with the OCD, that will make impressing the new girl at school, Amy, a lot harder.

If you're put off by that first sentence, than Lexapros and Cons by Aaron Karo probably is not for you. But come on, teenagers think about sex all the time and no sugarcoating is going to change that. Chuck is a very believable teenager, from his crush on Amy to his problems with navigating school and life in general. His OCD is not just a gimmick, it's not played for cheap laughs and it's not magically cured by the end of the book. I don't have OCD, so I cannot judge reliably, but I thought that the book did a good job of describing what life with OCD is like.

I laughed out at the first sentence and the dry humour of the book was very much my thing. I thought that the ending was a bit too perfect all around, but on the other hand - why not. It wasn't too perfect to become unbelievable and it makes a nice change from a trend in YA literature where nothing is ever okay.

It's an easy read, with short chapters, and I think a good choice for a reading project. Parents mind balk at the language, but I don't think teenagers will mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment