Monday, December 1, 2014

Memoir 44

IMG_8751

I am not a fan of strategy games and war games because I simply don't have the patience for it. So I was more than a bit sceptical when Mr Bookscorpion suggested we play Memoir 44. It's a war game about the Normandy Campaign and Ardennes offensive/Battle of the Bulge, with one player taking over the Allied forces and the other one the Germans.


The gameplay is surprisingly simple in itself and doesn't take much time to learn. You need some luck with your dice and with your action cards, but without strategic play, all of your luck won't help you. For me, that's just the right mix and I'm having a lot of fun playing this. One session is quickly played, in under one hour, although later missions are more complex and may take longer.

IMG_8758

The minis are pretty cool and I have a serious urge to take up mini painting every time we play. So if you are looking for a lightweight strategy game to play with people who usually don't like such games, this is a great choice. There are a ton of extensions you can buy as well. It's a Days of Wonder game and for me, this is becoming a recommendation in itself, they make great games, so far I've liked every one of them I've played.

No comments:

Post a Comment